Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Limit vs No Limit

Poker, of course, has a psychological side and a more technical side. I think I am proficient at both, but I certainly approach the game from a more technical standpoint than do most of my opponents. With experience I am getting better with the psychology. By this I mean that I'm gaining a better feeling for, among other things, what cards players are likely to be holding, what sorts of mistakes people are likely to make, and how big a bet players are likely to be willing to call when I have the best hand or when I am bluffing.

Success at no limit poker is much more reliant on the psychological side of the game than is success at limit poker. Since I am more technically oriented, I suspect that I have more potential to be an excellent limit player than no limit. Why, then, have I been spending my time playing mostly no limit holdem rather than limit? Two reasons: First, I have to admit, no limit poker is more exciting. More hands are playable before the flop, and more money can be won or lost on a given hand. The second reason I have been playing no limit is actually a consequence of the first reason. Since no limit is more exciting (and also because of the TV coverage), it attracts a lot more players who don't know what they are doing. Actually, the really really low limit tables have the most of these types of players but I'm comparing 1-2 or 2-5 NL with 8-16 or 15-30 limit.

Anyway, the point of all this is to say that I've decided to play mostly limit poker for a few days and see how it goes. I think I'll probably play 15-30, which I have played a few times before and feel pretty comfortable at. Of course, if another table looks pretty wild, I'm willing to go wherever the money is at.

No comments: