Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Limit Tournament

As I've mentioned before, I like to play occassionally in the 7pm weekday tournaments at the Mirage. On Tuesday and Wednesday it's a $130 no-limit holdem tournament with unlimited $100 rebuys. Thursday, it's $230 plus a single $200 rebuy (which I won a few weeks ago). I had never played their Monday tournament before, and as it turns out, it's a limit holdem tournament. Although I've never played in a live limit tournament before (I've played a few online), I figured I would play in it anyway.

I know for a fact that young people play limit holdem, but it seems that they do not play limit holdem tournaments. The median age at the final table other than me was probably 55; there was only one other player under 30 and nobody looked like he was between 30 and 45. I don't know why this is. I guess the young players who play limit don't waste their time on small tournaments like this one.

Anyway, I came in 4th and cashed for a few hundred dollars. This was the second time since my big win a few weeks ago that I just barely clawed my way into the money in a tournament. The other time was in the 2am tournament at Binions when Aaron and Joe were here. In that tournament, I knocked out Aaron with my KK after having advised him to play more aggressively, and Joe bubbled out one hand before me. Sorry guys.

Bobby and others tell me that the $300 noon tournament at the Wynn on weekdays is the best tournament in town. If I ever get up early enough I'll probably try it out.

No comments: