Sunday, December 20, 2009

Analyzing NLHE:TAP Concept 54

From No Limit Hold 'em: Theory and Practice by David Sklansky and Ed Miller.

Concept No. 54: Checking to induce a bluff is a significantly stronger play in no limit than it is in limit.

Instead of taking this concept's wording completely literally (it's ambiguous how we should define the "strength" of a play), let me rephrase it in a way that I think reflects the authors' point more accurately: "Checking to induce a bluff is the best play much more frequently in no limit than it is in limit." I think this is right.

I should point out that Sklansky and Miller are double-dipping here: we've already discussed this idea in Concept 33. As I implied in that post, I personally don't usually think of checking on the turn with a moderate hand as "inducing a bluff." Rather, I think of checking as moving my hand range toward the weaker end, which then forces me to call on the river if my hand is on the stronger end of my range. I will admit that "induce a bluff" is a simpler way to get this idea across.

No comments: