Monday, March 13, 2006

14th place

After five and a half hours of play, I was knocked out in 14th place (top 10 were paid).

For lack of anything interesting to discuss (that is, I don't feel like putting in the effort at the moment), here is the hand I was knocked out on.

Blinds are 500-1000 with antes at 200. There are seven players, and I am in the big blind with about 8000 left. The pot contains 3900 pre-flop, so my M is a meager 2. The second player limps in for 1000, everyone folds except the small blind, who calls. The small blind is also short stacked, with about 10,000 left, and the limper has about 15,000. I have 96o. At this point, going all-in is an option, but I had been quite aggressive recently and I think I would have gotten called. Anyway, I just check.

Flop: 9s 7d 3h. A very good-looking flop for my hand, as I now have top pair. The small blind checks, I check, the limper bets 2000, and the small blind folds This is just about exactly what I wanted to happen when I checked on the flop. There is now 7400 in the pot, and I have 6000 left. I go all-in with my top pair. Unfortunately, the limper has a set of threes and calls immediately. No help from the turn or river means I am out of chips.

2 comments:

CC said...

I think I make the same exact play there as well. He calls you all-in pre-flop half the time I would guess, so that seems like the only other play. Maybe our paths will cross while I'm out this week.

Ben said...

Too bad. Oh well - there's always next time! Sounds like you're doing well out there though. Good to hear.